In review--The World's Woes (Tales of the Unknown)

Kyle Carey
Monongah
Independent Release


I want to thank Angel Romero of World Music Central for forwarding me American songster Kyle Carey’s self-release Monongah.  The recording which blends Appalachian, light gospel, and Celtic folk sounds refreshing with its compelling stories.  Carey has talent to burn as a songwriter, and a mature, clear voice in which to deliver her stories—more or less tales with some intriguing characters.  Not only that the musician brings luminous musical talent on board with musicians from Lunasa and Cherish the Ladies, among others.

Her stories are sung against a lush background of mandolin, guitar, and banjo.  I think I might have heard some strings in there somewhere to, but it’s late in the day and my brain feels exhausted.   I do remember the sweet melodies that climb into my head and I catch myself humming them.  The cadence of Devil at your Back with its lilting guitar rolling along certainly fits that category and so does Virginia, a story about an authentic wayward woman, and so does the lament John Hardy’s Wife and the closing Adenine.

I listened to the album on headphones to pick up the nuances of the warm acoustic production.  I enjoy listening to Carey’s vocals and find them soothing and informative.  For anyone who enjoys hearty tales and strong melodies performed on acoustic instruments, this one’s for you.  I’m not sure why it took this long for a talent such as Kyle Carey to cross my path, but I’m glad the day finally arrived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre